RE: [opensuse-factory] Yast (and some console programs) not correctly displaying
  • From: "Wolfgang Bauer" <wbauer@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2019 15:19:17 +0100
On Saturday, January 19, 2019 1:53 PM Rainer Hantsch wrote:
Or maybe it's related to TERM=linux and e.g. TERM=konsole or
TERM=xterm-color would work better? I'm not sure if that can play a role
here though.

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang

I have no idea what was changed here.

I guess someone set himself a new monument and changed something in
Yast in
Leap 15.

One thing that definitely changed is that ncurses now uses REP if
TERM=xterm, as explained.
That's an upstream change in ncurses btw, nothing (open)SUSE specific (so
you would have the same problems connecting to a different recent Linux
system).
And it's not specific to YaST either, it should affect all applications that
use ncurses.

That's not even about STANDARDS though. The "xterm" terminfo entry describes
the capabilities of xterm (obviously), other terminals/emulators may not
necessarily support the same features.
And TERM=linux describes the Linux console (I think), and not *k*onsole.

On your screenshots to which I referred to, one can only see the REP
problem. The characters themselves are rendered correctly (just not
repeated).
And the only change now was that you set TERM=linux...

I can build you a 13.2 konsole with REP support patched in if you want,
maybe that would work fine for you then... (with TERM=xterm)

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang