Re: [opensuse-factory] Yast (and some console programs) not correctly displaying
  • From: "Wolfgang Bauer" <wbauer@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2019 11:28:08 +0100
On Saturday, January 19, 2019 10:28 AM Rainer Hantsch wrote:
Sorry to say, but my setting is everywhere >TERM="xterm"<, also on my
openSUSE 13.2 x64 (I am working on.)

And that's exactly the problem, because that causes newer ncurses to use the
REP sequence.
(it's called REP not RPT, sorry for my mistake)

I entered now this two commands LOCALLY (in Konsole of KDE, configured to
use
xfree4):

xfree4 is the keyboard layout, the $TERM is set in the environment settings
IIRC (can't check at the moment).

Yast pops up with this appearance (see Link below).
www.hantsch.co.at/_temp/Snap142.jpg <-- "Wonderful" borders

See? ;-)

So this must be another "silent change" between 42.3 and 15.0 deep inside.
cannot imagine that Leap 42.3 didn't use RPT while Leap 15 does?

But that's how it is. Ncurses on Leap 42.3 doesn't use REP, while the
version in Leap 15.0 does with $TERM=xterm (on 8-bit locales at least, as
apparently xterm doesn't support it with UTF-8...).

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang