Re: [opensuse-factory] Yast (and some console programs) not correctly displaying
  • From: Rainer Hantsch <office@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2019 10:27:51 +0100
This I only wanted to show you because it was so distorted.

Sorry to say, but my setting is everywhere »TERM="xterm"«, also on my
openSUSE 13.2 x64 (I am working on.)

I entered now this two commands LOCALLY (in Konsole of KDE, configured to use
xfree4):
export TERM="linux"
yast

Yast pops up with this appearance (see Link below).
www.hantsch.co.at/_temp/Snap142.jpg <-- "Wonderful" borders

So this must be another "silent change" between 42.3 and 15.0 deep inside. I
cannot imagine that Leap 42.3 didn't use RPT while Leap 15 does?
So I found another issue with Yast. (rofl)

#1: Why was -> System -> Language -> Detail "Locale-Settings for user root"
removed from Yast? Should be re-inserted. There is absolutely no reason
for removing it, it only forces users to namually edit
/etc/sysconfig/language.

#2: I don't know what has changed from 42.3 -> 15.0. If 42.3 didn't use RPT,
it would be smart to stick with that. Compatibility is often of higher
value than saving a few milliseconds by using "RPT".
Or add a setting to YaST to enable/disable using of RPT.

But this has nothing to do with my iso-8859-x <--> utf8 problem. sometimes I
watch that lines show 2-byte characters (as an UTF-8 char shows up in a 8-bit
only terminal). This is not easily to reproduce, but I will look carefully and
report where I saw that when it happens again.

I use always the settings »ROOT_USES_LANG="yes"«, because I prefer everything
being in German language, also when logged in as root. :)