Re: [opensuse-factory] Yast (and some console programs) not correctly displaying
  • From: Rainer Hantsch <office@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2019 18:13:51 +0100
Am Freitag, 18. Jan 2019, 16:24:46 schrieb Joachim Wagner:
[...] I suspect that I got the problem when I chose
"Server" instead of "Desktop with KDE" in the installer and that the
"Server" profile doesn't set an UTF-8 locale (which is reasonable for a
server).

Negative. I just tried default server installs with 15.0 and 42.3 without
updates in a VM and yast is fine on the console. Searching for LC, en_, ISO
and UTF in `env` I only see LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8.

If I change this variable to POSIX (export LC_CTYPE=POSIX), yast is still
fine.

Joachim

Sorry, but it appears here totally different, even when using a SSH connection
(and in this case it is usually better).

My local machine:
openSUSE 13.2 x64, KDE, konsole window opened

rainer@majestix:~> locale
LANG=de_DE@euro
LC_CTYPE="de_DE@euro"
LC_NUMERIC="de_DE@euro"
LC_TIME="de_DE@euro"
LC_COLLATE="de_DE@euro"
LC_MONETARY="de_DE@euro"
LC_MESSAGES="de_DE@euro"
LC_PAPER="de_DE@euro"
LC_NAME="de_DE@euro"
LC_ADDRESS="de_DE@euro"
LC_TELEPHONE="de_DE@euro"
LC_MEASUREMENT="de_DE@euro"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="de_DE@euro"
LC_ALL=
rainer@majestix:~>

--------

Now I do a ssh to my friend's server (also acting as firewall):
openSUSE 42.2 (x86_64)

idefix:~ # locale
LANG=de_DE@euro
LC_CTYPE="de_DE@euro"
LC_NUMERIC="de_DE@euro"
LC_TIME="de_DE@euro"
LC_COLLATE="de_DE@euro"
LC_MONETARY="de_DE@euro"
LC_MESSAGES="de_DE@euro"
LC_PAPER="de_DE@euro"
LC_NAME="de_DE@euro"
LC_ADDRESS="de_DE@euro"
LC_TELEPHONE="de_DE@euro"
LC_MEASUREMENT="de_DE@euro"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="de_DE@euro"
LC_ALL=

The machine is actually configured to locally use UTF-8, but I login from my
iso-8859-1 machine, therefore I see here (again) thew same locale settings.
I can open YaST and everything is fine (as it is no local physical console). I
see nothing wrong in main window and also in any sub-window (when opening i.e.
System / Services.

See this screenshots:
www.hantsch.co.at/_temp/Snap140.jpg
www.hantsch.co.at/_temp/Snap141.jpg (A sub-module)

--------------

Now I do another SSH from this machine to a client machine behind it (in LAN)
by another SSH to that machine:
cat /etc/os-release shows: openSUSE Leap 15.0 , KDE. ...

norbert:~ # locale
LANG=de_DE@euro
LC_CTYPE="de_DE@euro"
LC_NUMERIC="de_DE@euro"
LC_TIME="de_DE@euro"
LC_COLLATE="de_DE@euro"
LC_MONETARY="de_DE@euro"
LC_MESSAGES="de_DE@euro"
LC_PAPER="de_DE@euro"
LC_NAME="de_DE@euro"
LC_ADDRESS="de_DE@euro"
LC_TELEPHONE="de_DE@euro"
LC_MEASUREMENT="de_DE@euro"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="de_DE@euro"
LC_ALL=

And now I execute again 'yast' (so this is again the textmode version).
Here is are link to screenshots of what I get now (same windows of yast):
www.hantsch.co.at/_temp/Snap138.jpg
www.hantsch.co.at/_temp/Snap139.jpg (A sub-module)

---------------

Looks a "little bit" different.

--

mit freundlichen Grüßen

Ing. Rainer Hantsch
(Firmeninhaber)

ING. RAINER HANTSCH - Hardware & Software
Khunngasse 21/20
A-1030 Wien
*** Austria ***

Tel.: +43-1-7988538-0 Fax : +43-1-7988538-18
Mobil: +43-664-9194382
UID-Nr: ATU11134002