Re: [opensuse-factory] Yast (and some console programs) not correctly displaying
  • From: Rainer Hantsch <office@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2019 12:34:05 +0100
Hello, Josef.

The situation you describe lead me into using everywhere iso-8859-1/15. This
incoding is closest to DOS codepage, a 1-Byte charset, and causing no troubles
when interacting with microcontrollers (also usually only using 8-Bit
charsets).
For me "UTF8 everywhere" would be an odyssee. I would have to implement UTF8
into microcontrollers with a few k of ROM (a no-go), or everywhere implement a
translation. It is lots easier to have everywhere 8859-1 in use.

About YaST:
I see that Yast can perfectly work with config files edited with 'joe' on
8859-1 system. So I see no need to change something in this part?

The problem YaST has, is controlling the screen/terminal in text mode! It is
fully ok if you internally always use UTF8, but it appears there is a problem
with correctly controlling the terminal. Therefore it works fine on
screens/terminals using UTF8, but it has some glitches when controlling a
terminal on 8859-1 (as an example).

So YaST *must* read the locale settings and then do some kind of translation
before writing to the screen. This is the only way to get this working. Noone
can use YaST without logging in. And with logging in, a locale setting is
already assigned. No?

Btw: I do the same (internally using a standard encoding) in my programs. The
only difference is that my standard is iso-8859-15 while your standard is
utf8. Doesn't really matter, we (both) have to convert while reading/writing.
But it seems that some of this conversions have been not implemented in Yast,
and this causes the described distortions.