Re: [opensuse-factory] Yast (and some console programs) not correctly displaying
  • From: Rainer Hantsch <office@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2019 11:58:44 +0100
Hello, Carlos.

Older versions of YaST showes so massive distortions that it was close to
unreadable on a plain text console. In last versions of openSuSE this became
better, it is now reduced to what you (Carlos) actually described. So it can
be used, but it does not appear 100% correctly (compared to a system using the
default UTF8 settings.

I use this locales, btw., if I am correct this is 8859-15:
rainer@majestix:~> locale
LANG=de_DE@euro
LC_CTYPE="de_DE@euro"
LC_NUMERIC="de_DE@euro"
LC_TIME="de_DE@euro"
LC_COLLATE="de_DE@euro"
LC_MONETARY="de_DE@euro"
LC_MESSAGES="de_DE@euro"
LC_PAPER="de_DE@euro"
LC_NAME="de_DE@euro"
LC_ADDRESS="de_DE@euro"
LC_TELEPHONE="de_DE@euro"
LC_MEASUREMENT="de_DE@euro"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="de_DE@euro"
LC_ALL=

I also see (i.e. during updates with zypper) that the progress line is showing
sometimes a 2-byte character (two wrong characters instead of one correct
char). Zypper - I *guess* - will use the same libraries as Yast?

(Also I am not sure about what will happen if I connect some of my serial
terminals. In this case we are somewhere between VT100/VT220 and ANSI
terminal, but again far away from UTF8 ability. I only want to point out how
important it is to solve this bug.)