Re: [opensuse-factory] Yast (and some console programs) not correctly displaying

On Friday 2019-01-18 08:39, Rainer Hantsch wrote:
On 18/01/2019 08.17, Rainer Hantsch wrote:
I do not want to start a discussion here about advantages/disadvantages of
one
or the other encoding (ISO-8859-1, UTF8, ...) and/or why I should use UTF8.

I have good reasons why I don't want to do that and stay with ISO-8859-1,
and

I watch this phenomen since UTF8 came out. Because I do remote
administration often in text mode (ssh or in a few cases even by modem
dial in), a properly working handling of encodings has to work. [...]

[yast] This should be fixed

So should your local encoding.
But we already know *that's* not going to happen..

Mexican standoff. For as long as we "should" do something, I'll point
out a thing you "should" be doing.

-------

To interested people wanting to debug:

* start putty native on openSUSE (this is set to UTF-8), ssh to
localhost, run "hte" — mc and yast are fine —, observe.

* start putty.exe on openSUSE through wine (this defaults to ISO
IIRC), ssh to localhost, run hte or yast — mc is fine —, observe.

* hte on xterm directly is fine..