Re: [opensuse-factory] New TW installation on laptop very slow start-up
On Wed, 05 Dec 2018 14:46:12 +0100,
Bob Williams wrote:

On Wed, 5 Dec 2018 13:51:58 +0100
Liam Proven <lproven@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On 05/12/2018 13:49, Bob Williams wrote:
Any suggestions, please?

Googling the error message shows a number of leads.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/893817/boot-very-slow-because-of-drm-kms-helper-errors

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=273797

Oops! Why do always forget Google in the heat of the moment? Many thanks, I
found the answer - modify grub by adding "video=SVIDEO-1:d" to
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT= in /etc/default/grub, then

grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

Some notes about this bug: the reason why this doesn't hit on Leap is
because we have some hackish workaround for it; essentially the TV
output on the old Intel platform is already disabled as default on
Leap kernels.

On TW kernel, OTOH, we try to keep the kernel code as close to
upstream as possible, so we didn't take that workaround there.

I think the upstream seems to have nailed down the problem very
recently, so it may be properly fixed on 4.20 or 4.21, hopefully.

Takashi