Re: [opensuse-factory] emacs-magit silently removed !?
Hi Martin,

My TW update today silently removed the emacs-magit package,
which I heavily depend upon for my daily work.

just in case you weren't aware of that workaround, let me mention that
you can install that package quickly on your system by running

M-x package-install magit

in Emacs. This will also give you a much newer and more feature-rich
version than the one TW used to have.

Worse, the package in the "editors" repo is also broken, as it links
to the not-anymore- existing package in openSUSE:Factory.

I believe Martin Pluskal has fixed that issue already. The trick is to
delete the "_link" file.

The OBS log bluntly tells "The build depends on the broken emacs-dash
package and I no longer use (or maintain) magit.".

Yes, the build of emacs-magit had been broken for quite a while. Fixing
those issues looked like an effort I wasn't prepared to take on, so I
decided to request the removal of those packages from TW.

I don't recall having seen a call for a new maintainer for this
package anywhere, nor a discussion whether this package could/should
be ditched.

You are right. I did not post to this list beforehand, and I probably
should have. I didn't realize that emacs-magit was particularly
important to anyone. I thought the fact that it had been broken for a
long time without anyone caring about it would be a pretty good
indication that emacs-magit could be dropped -- especially considering
it's so incredibly easy to get a newer and better version from within
Emacs.

Anyway, if anyone is willing to maintain that package, then please
request maintainership on OBS [1] and I'll be happy to transfer those
rights and privileges.

Best regards,
Peter

[1] https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/editors/emacs-magit