Re: [opensuse-factory] Default categories in Menus

On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 4:35 AM, Ludwig Nussel <ludwig.nussel@xxxxxxx> wrote:
hellcp@xxxxxxxxxxxx schrieb:
openSUSE has a package that provides desktop environments with /etc/xdg/menus
and /usr/share/desktop-directories required by former, called
desktop-data-openSUSE. However, many desktop environments like XFCE (with
libgarcon-data) and Gnome (with gnome-menus), provide menus and
desktop-directories already.

What a mess. There is duplication even. We have for example
Game.directory from GNOME, kde-games.directory from KDE and
suse-games.directory from desktop-data-openSUSE.
The menu structure is meant to be desktop agnostic, so there shouldn't
be a reason for KDE, GNOME nor anyone else to ship their own versions of
the same thing.

I actually wonder why that's even done. What benefit does upstream Gnome
or Xfce have in suggesting their own applications menu.

One of the files from that package is used for OBS's brp checks, the .desktop
file category check. That has been truly annoying to some folks, who tried to
package apps with categories listed by fd.o's standard (which was updated in
2016, yet desktop-directories remained untouched), but weren't able to due to
lack of full compatibility with standard.

The brp script is legacy. Should be ported to rpmlint nowadays.

I hear Neal would like to see PRs with support for checking categories :P

fd.o's standard consists of 2 distinct parts, Main categories [1] and Additional
categories [2]. Instead of having menus consist of Main categories > Sub
categories, we should have just Main categories. They require less maintance,
less icons, less translations and standard around them is updated less
frequently.

If nobody else has an opinion on that fine with me. Personally I'd favor
installing less by default anyways which would mean less crowded menus.

Sounds good to me.

And split the desktop-data-openSUSE into more subpackages, because Gnome doesn't
require KDE tweaks and vice versa.

What kind of tweaks are that? I'd hope that we don't need desktop
specific menus in the first place.

There is some stuff unrelated to menus in that repository ;)

LCP [Stasiek]
https://lcp.world