Re: [opensuse-factory] Proposal to remove pyc/pyo from Python on TW
  • From: Alberto Planas Dominguez <aplanas@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2018 11:57:11 +0200
On Friday, October 5, 2018 11:04:53 AM CEST Joachim Wagner wrote:

Re-reading Alberto's messages, however, he seems to have sufficient local
storage for both py and pyc files. @Alberto: What specific practical problem
are you trying to solve by reducing the size of python modules?

That is correct, I have space in my local machine.

I think that the first practical problem that I want to solve is not make JeOS
or MicroOS so big only for requiring some Python code in it. This will
decrease the download time and the dd time. I do no want to grow the image by
+1.3 x [.py size].

Growing in size so fast makes, IMHO, Python a bit less interesting when I want
to include it in my images and containers. Also can save a lot of space (and
make the installation a bit faster) on big Python projects, like OpenStack.

At the end I expect that including cloud-init or salt-minion in my images will
have half of the requirements in size that we actually have, without
sacrificing speed and easy to debug.

--
SUSE Linux GmbH, GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Dilip Upmanyu, Graham
Norton, HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)