[opensuse-factory] Re: [opensuse-packaging] Proposal to remove pyc/pyo from Python on TW
  • From: Alberto Planas Dominguez <aplanas@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2018 10:41:22 +0200
On Thursday, October 4, 2018 6:39:41 PM CEST Jan Engelhardt wrote:
On Thursday 2018-10-04 16:52, Alberto Planas Dominguez wrote:
I also estimated some gains for different scenarios. For example in a
normal TW installation:

* Python 2.7 + 3.6

- pyc/pyc: 127M total
- py: 109M total

* Python 3.6 only

- pyc/pyc: 91M total
- py: 70M total

Or one could remove py and keep pyc/pyo.
That's basically how GNU C C++ & Fortran, Erlang, ocaml, .. all work ;-)

I would definitively not do that, as the traceback will lack context. Imagine
supporting a system that fails without pointing the source code that generate
the error. In my experience having the pys makes the debugging experience a
lot better.

--
SUSE Linux GmbH, GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Dilip Upmanyu, Graham
Norton, HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)