Re: [opensuse-factory] Proposal to remove pyc/pyo from Python on TW
On 10/4/18 7:33 PM, Thorsten Kukuk wrote:
On Thu, Oct 04, Robert Schweikert wrote:

Can you share the definition of "small and slim". What is the target
size we want to get to and why does it matter if the image is a "bit"
bigger?

Ever downloaded an image at every boot via LTE?
That's what some of our customers are doing, as they don't want to
send technicians out in the wild to do that via usb stick.

Wouldn't that be a corner case though as Robert mentioned?

And in virtualisation environments (not public cloud), disks are
no longer cheap, as you have many, many virtual machines.
So why for you a jump from 8 GB to 10 GB in the public cloud
is no big problem, a lot of customers would like to see that
we use only 4 GB, as that would allow them to store double as
many virtual machines as today.
And the LTE fraction would even like to see images in the 150MB range...

I think the statement is accurate that storage prices are going down
as technology progresses, not up. There might be stalls in that development
from time to time, but I think the trend is clear [1].

Having these numbers is interesting but what is the goal of the image
you want to build and what is the benefit of the smaller size for JeOS
or MicriOS?

The requested goal by our big customers are less than 500MB,
else see above.

And no, we don't want any of your proposed hacks, we are very
happy that we were able to remove all of this hacks from building
images. This only breaks RPM and updating the images.

I wouldn't consider using KIWI for custom size adjustments a hack
but rather the appropriate way customizing images. As long as the
method isn't obscure and complicated, I would prefer it over a
one-fits-all solution as proposed in the original post.

Thanks,
Adrian

[1] https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-cost-per-gigabyte/