[opensuse-factory] Re: [opensuse-packaging] Proposal to remove pyc/pyo from Python on TW
  • From: Alberto Planas Dominguez <aplanas@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2018 17:11:21 +0200
On Thursday, October 4, 2018 5:03:46 PM CEST Michael Ströder wrote:
On 10/4/18 4:52 PM, Alberto Planas Dominguez wrote:
I created an small shim that replace the
python3.7 binary to enable this cache prefix feature, to point it to /var/
cache/pycache/<username>, and I removed from the image all the python
compiled code.

The above sounds to me that compiled code goes into several
user-specific pycache directories. How does that save space?

In two ways basically

* The rpm is smaller
* In the disk, for long services only one version of __pycache__ will be in /
var/cache, the one under were the service is running

Also /var/cache, by definition, can be clearer frequently, or even reside on
RAM.

But I agree that this point is relevant, as the user cache is in ~/.cache
according to XDG, so this is another alternative.

--
SUSE Linux GmbH, GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Dilip Upmanyu, Graham
Norton, HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)