Re: [opensuse-factory] missing utility: fbset
  • From: Knurpht-openSUSE <knurpht@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2018 17:25:16 +0200
Op dinsdag 2 oktober 2018 11:13:47 CEST schreef Felix Miata:
Richard Brown composed on 2018-10-02 10:33 (UTC+0200):
Felix Miata wrote:
fbset is a tool used for troubleshooting in forums and mailing lists.
Google hits that use it are useless on openSUSE, because it was dropped
from standard>
repos roughly 3 years ago. Installed from a discontinued repo shows:
I'm not sure if this is a request or a statement of fact, but if it is
intended as stating facts, your facts are incorrect and incomplete.

All that pasted information was what I was able to glean from various
sources before asking here. e.g.
http://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/opensuse/discontinued/distribution/12.3/repo/oss/sus
e/x86_64/fbset-2.1-938.1.1.x86_64.rpm 18-Jun-2017 00:18
I downloaded that years ago, so it has a Jan 2013 timestamp matching its
content...
fbset was not removed 3 years ago, but 6 years

...not yet 6.

# ls -lGg fbs*
-rw-rw-r-- 1 45141 Jan 7 2015 fbset-2.1-0.1.i586.rpm
-rw-rw-r-- 1 46005 Jan 7 2015 fbset-2.1-0.1.x86_64.rpm

Branched later?

I got those from BS home:Ledest. The content of those files matches the
timestamps, not yet 4 years ago. They're what I use, and still work, but
normally they are of no use, as the usual context is I'm asking someone who
wants help on a forum or mailing list to provide information helpful in
finding a solution.

The maintainer did so with a comment stating that it was made obsolete
by KMS and other tools

Where would this comment have been, or be found now? If I could have figured
out the replacement tool(s) I wouldn't still be looking or asking. Surely
fbset must serve some purpose to justify other major distros continuing to
include them not only in their repos, but in their default installations.

Usually what I'm looking for is simply:

mode
columns
rows

inxi -Gxx, which apparently is not part of any openSUSE default
installation, sometimes provides the answer, other times not. I've searched
several times over the years without finding better.

--
Gertjan Lettink a.k.a. Knurpht
openSUSE Board Member