Re: [opensuse-factory] missing utility: fbset
On Tue, 2018-10-02 at 05:13 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

fbset was not removed 3 years ago, but 6 years

...not yet 6.

# ls -lGg fbs*
-rw-rw-r-- 1 45141 Jan 7 2015 fbset-2.1-0.1.i586.rpm
-rw-rw-r-- 1 46005 Jan 7 2015 fbset-2.1-0.1.x86_64.rpm

I got those from BS home:Ledest. The content of those files matches the
timestamps, not yet 4 years ago. They're what I use, and still work, but
normally they are of no use, as the usual context is I'm asking someone who
wants help on a forum or mailing list to provide information helpful in
finding
a solution.

The maintainer did so with a comment stating that it was made obsolete
by KMS and other tools

Where would this comment have been, or be found now? If I could have figured
out
the replacement tool(s) I wouldn't still be looking or asking. Surely fbset
must
serve some purpose to justify other major distros continuing to include them
not
only in their repos, but in their default installations.

for any package that has removed from Tumbleweed, if you know the
source package name, you can query the removal reason using:

osc log -D openSUSE:Factory $pkgname, then the 'top most entry' will
give you the information you seek:

e.g.:

osc log -D openSUSE:Factory fbset
reveals:

r20 | coolo | 2013-05-16 10:11:26 | 8b0d8fdc295a48ede6ccbad7796dabb3 | 2.1 |
rq134218

Obsoleted by KMS and other modern tools

As for your initial mail: it cana help if you formulate explicit
questions into your emails. Keep in mind that the readers of your
emails don't know about the thoughts you had before writing down the
email - we can base our answers only on the information provided.

A generally good indication for a question in an email is a question
mark (?). Since your original mail contained none, and also no phrase
other than pure information you gathered, there was no way of telling
what your intention behind the mail was. Try to formulate conscise
questions - the less open, the better people can answer.

cheers
Dominique
< Previous Next >