Re: [opensuse-factory] missing utility: fbset
Richard Brown composed on 2018-10-02 10:33 (UTC+0200):

Felix Miata wrote:

fbset is a tool used for troubleshooting in forums and mailing lists. Google
hits that use it are useless on openSUSE, because it was dropped from
standard
repos roughly 3 years ago. Installed from a discontinued repo shows:

I'm not sure if this is a request or a statement of fact, but if it is
intended as stating facts, your facts are incorrect and incomplete.

All that pasted information was what I was able to glean from various sources
before asking here. e.g.
http://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/opensuse/discontinued/distribution/12.3/repo/oss/suse/x86_64/fbset-2.1-938.1.1.x86_64.rpm
18-Jun-2017 00:18
I downloaded that years ago, so it has a Jan 2013 timestamp matching its
content...

fbset was not removed 3 years ago, but 6 years

...not yet 6.

# ls -lGg fbs*
-rw-rw-r-- 1 45141 Jan 7 2015 fbset-2.1-0.1.i586.rpm
-rw-rw-r-- 1 46005 Jan 7 2015 fbset-2.1-0.1.x86_64.rpm

I got those from BS home:Ledest. The content of those files matches the
timestamps, not yet 4 years ago. They're what I use, and still work, but
normally they are of no use, as the usual context is I'm asking someone who
wants help on a forum or mailing list to provide information helpful in finding
a solution.

The maintainer did so with a comment stating that it was made obsolete
by KMS and other tools

Where would this comment have been, or be found now? If I could have figured out
the replacement tool(s) I wouldn't still be looking or asking. Surely fbset must
serve some purpose to justify other major distros continuing to include them not
only in their repos, but in their default installations.

Usually what I'm looking for is simply:

mode
columns
rows

inxi -Gxx, which apparently is not part of any openSUSE default installation,
sometimes provides the answer, other times not. I've searched several times over
the years without finding better.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/