Re: [opensuse-factory] Proposal: Let's move to a more modern platform
  • From: Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2018 16:53:02 -0400
On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 3:41 PM Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Vinzenz Vietzke composed on 2018-07-31 19:55 (UTC+0200):

schrieb Ronan Chagas:

It is very difficult to search for a message (if you did not archive
everything, then you must rely on the on-line database), if you delete a
message, reply to that thread is not very straightforward, etc.

discourse (http://discourse.julialang.org). It turn out that it is very
good. In my opinion, much better than mailing lists using e-mails.

So much "better" that my involvement in fostering mozilla.org products dropped
by at least half. I _had_ several mozilla.org mailing list subscriptions that
was more than just nominally active in.

Discourse is like most of the web, hard to use, designed by juvenile brains
for
juvenile eyes.

More seriously: I just don't get what's wrong with mailing lists. Every
time I tried Discourse I got lost with it's overloaded and bloated UI.
Too many buttons, smilies, BB code and stuff. Maybe I'm getting too old
for such things...

meetoo

That said, if there's real demand for some web-based clicky interface
I'd like to point out Hyperkitty from Fedora:
http://hyperkitty.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/

Same class as Discourse, scripts hiding content, nothing to see without
annoying
scripts enabled, distracting subtopics (most recent, most active, most
popular,
statistics) hiding basics (columns: by date, by author, by thread, mbox), and
gray on gray mousetype surrounded by copious whitespace. I had a dozen fedora
mailing list subs before Hyperkitty, now one.

One advantage for me and mine, is it cut my time involved in Fedora by at
least
half, so more time to spend making user styles for opensuse.org work better if
nothing else.

But you can certainly choose to avoid it. I don't use HyperKitty very
much for my Fedora ML interactions, but it's certainly nice having SSO
for managing my MLs. People who like that model can certainly use it.
And in the end, it's still email.

I don't know if it's possible, but it might be possible to
simultaneously have a Pipermail frontend for browsing, if desired.
It's all Mailman in the end.

I would love if the openSUSE mailing lists moved to
Mailman+HyperKitty+Postorius. It's a way nicer experience over mlmmj
(which frustrates me to no end).