Re: [opensuse-factory] Proposal: Let's move to a more modern platform
On 31/07/18 02:18 PM, Michael Ströder wrote:

Especially I like that e-mails can be written while being off-line and sent
later.

Yes, there is that!

Every time I tried Discourse I got lost with it's overloaded and bloated
UI. Too many buttons, smilies, BB code and stuff. Maybe I'm getting too
old for such things...

We're on the same page.

OUCH!
You could have worded that differently :-)

Looking at all these "modern" bloat communication tools I really wonder why
we gave up news servers. But yeah, this reveals: I'm old too.

Yes, C-News really was an incredible tool. It's a pity all the public services
side got 'hijacked' by infantile trolling.

I've known a few companies that still make use of 'news' servers internally to
very good effect. Easily accessible with lightweight tools such as e-mail
readers (or even netcat). Yes, another example of how 'push' services end up
being superior to web based 'get' services.
That being said, just as there are 'webmail' interface for those who won't run a
mail server, there are 'webnews' interfaces.

I've spoken with a few people who use webmail and they seem very concerned about
NOT having their email on their machine, often a phone or table without much
store. Although I use a full-blown PC as my primary mail I/F I also use IMAP so
that I don't download the messages. Some people don't understand this.

--
The most important fundamental laws and facts of physical science have all been
discovered, and these are now so firmly established that the possibility of