Re: [opensuse-factory] Proposal: Let's move to a more modern platform
  • From: Knurpht-openSUSE <knurpht@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2018 20:05:11 +0200
Op dinsdag 31 juli 2018 19:42:14 CEST schreef Ronan Chagas:
Hi guys!

First of all, sorry if this is not the correct list to post something like
this.

openSUSE has many mailing lists and some are very active. I, as a developer,
must follow some to make sure I did not miss an important news. However,
IMHO, mailing lists through e-mails are not that good anymore. It is very
difficult to search for a message (if you did not archive everything, then
you must rely on the on-line database), if you delete a message, reply to
that thread is not very straightforward, etc.

I am wondering why do we not change to a more modern platform created with
this kind of discussion in mind? In Julia project, they setup a discourse
(http://discourse.julialang.org). It turn out that it is very good. In my
opinion, much better than mailing lists using e-mails.

What do you think about this?

Cheers,
Ronan
I tend to see discourse not as a mailing lists replacement, rather a forums
replacement, and from that perspective I only see replacement of one database
by another. At the board f2f we talked about Matrix, which can be accessed in
multiple ways.

--
Gertjan Lettink a.k.a. Knurpht
openSUSE Board Member