[opensuse-factory] Re: [opensuse-kernel] Reliability test for hard drives and SSD
03.03.2018, 21:20, "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
On 2018-03-03 18:30, Larry Finger wrote:
 On 2018-03-03 08:18, Andrey Ponomarenko wrote:
 Hi there!

 Good news for all interested in hardware compatibility and reliability.

 I've started a new project to estimate reliability of hard drives and
 SSD in real-life conditions based on the SMART data reports collected
 by Linux users in the Linux-Hardware.org database since 2014. The
 initial data (SMART reports), analysis methods and results are
 publicly shared in a new github repository:
 https://github.com/linuxhw/SMART. Everyone can contribute to the
 report by uploading probes of their computers by the hw-probe tool!

 Where do we get that tool from? It is not available at openSUSE:

<https://software.opensuse.org/search?p=1&baseproject=openSUSE:Leap:42.3&q=hw-probe>

 You can get the source and use it with the following:

 git clone http://github.com/linuxhw/hw-probe
 cd hw-probe
 sudo make install prefix=/usr
 sudo hw-probe -all -upload -id <description>

 If you want to see what goes into the database, look at
 https://linux-hardware.org/?probe=550460aaac

 Is this a package we should make available for openSUSE users?

If you want to populate the database with many entries, yes :-)

And also announce it on a more visible mail list, too.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

                Carlos E. R.

Hi,

I've just created a package by OBS that can be installed by:

sudo zypper addrepo -G -f obs://home:linuxbuild/openSUSE_Factory hw-probe
sudo zypper install hw-probe

The command to replenish the database:

sudo hw-probe -all -upload

AppImage is also available to run without installing:
https://github.com/linuxhw/hw-probe#appimage

OBS project: https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:linuxbuild/hw-probe

Thank you.