Re: [opensuse-factory] Binutils 2.31
On Mon, 16 Jul 2018, Jiri Slaby wrote:

On 07/13/2018, 05:34 PM, Larry Finger wrote:
Adrian,

In binutils 2.31, relocation type R_X86_64_PLT32 for 32-bit PC-relative
branches has been enabled. With this change, VirtualBox VMs fail to start.

The kernel fix is in commit b21ebf2fb4cde16, and a similar fix is
available for VB in the VB Developers Mailing List and has been applied
to Debian unstable.

I don't understand. the commit is in the kernel since 4.16. which is in
Tumbleweed. I suppose older distro won't receive binutils 2.31.

Older distros will receive binutils 2.31 via the Toolchain Module
(binutils will be updated in the main codestream). That will happen
around October I guess.

But binutils itself will not introduce those relocations (well,
maybe it will relax to them, didn't check).

Richard.

ANd if
so, the commit was backported to 4.4 (LEap 42.*). If need be, we ca
backport to 4.12 (Leap 15).

thanks,

--
Richard Biener <rguenther@xxxxxxx>
SUSE LINUX GmbH, GF: Felix Imendoerffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton, HRB