Re: [opensuse-factory] Question about usage of the svn command
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2018 02:06:19 +0200 (CEST)

El 2018-07-12 a las 20:00 +0200, stakanov escribió:

If I want to run:

svn co https://github.com/liosha/osm2mp osm2mp

on e.g. Leap or also TW, do I have to run the command as root (with sudo) or
do I run it as user?

As user.

I answered this on another post.

I'm not familiar with sm2mp, but I'm familiar enough with svn. As far as you are concerned, it is just a plain download command.

The command is "svn checkout source_tree_link directory" and it just makes a copy of the source tree directory (or text files or whatever) into "directory".

If it were the case of C source files you would _later_ make and install them as root later. That is _later_. The svn command is run as user.

Note: my description of svn is (intentionally) not precise. For your use case, it suffices, though.

If you want to be more precise, well, the svn server keeps a current copy of "text files", but also of all the modifications that those text files undergo, so that you can undo some modification or get a copy of the files as they were on an exact date (and second) a year ago. Writers upload the modifications, and people can "checkout" a copy.

You are only getting a copy of the files as they are this instant. A checkout, or 'co' in short.

This is the least of your worries. Just run the command as user and move on to your next step :-)

- -- Cheers
Carlos E. R.

(from openSUSE 42.3 x86_64 "Malachite" (Minas Tirith))