Re: [opensuse-factory] Tumbleweed - Plasma Desktop freezes frequently.
On Tue, 10 Jul 2018 at 18:53, Ianseeks <bingmybong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tuesday, 10 July 2018 10:56:34 BST Manvendra Bhangui wrote:
Just days back I migrated to Tumbleweed from Leap 42.2. I have been
have this frequent issue when the GUI becomes unresponsive. All I can
do is to move the mouse pointer. However I can login to the host using
ssh and reboot the system and that's how I get my pc running. My
Graphics card is NVIDIA Geforce GT 710. The TV is connected to the PC
through an HDMI cable. I am using the native Nouveau driver.

I used to have problems with a freezing desktop using Nouveau and it was
"cured" by uninstalling
Mesa-dri-nouveau (Mesa DRI plug-in for 3D acceleration via Nouveau) and
locking it so it can't be installed.

This sounds logical because the freeze always seems to happen with 3D
acceleration. After updating to Jul 09 snapshot, I haven't got a
single freeze till now. But this is what I will try next if the
problem reoccurs. Thanks for the pointer.