Re: [opensuse-factory] TW suddenly freezes: keyboard not responding
  • From: Peter Suetterlin <pit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2018 10:45:59 +0100
Felix Miata wrote:

Nomodeset is for troubleshooting, not actual GUI operation. Nomodeset causes
fallback to the horrible last resort FBDEV or VESA xf86 drivers. Try the
"other" FOSS driver.

Seconded, though:

All my openSUSE installations on i915 systems that are new enough (965G maybe,
G31 no, G41 yes) have xf86-video-intel uninstalled.

I'm also running the modesetting driver from Mesa on my Tumbleweed Laptop
(Lenovo T460p, HD530/940MX). However, the latest ones do have several issues
(at least for me):

- switching display resolution with xrandr fails, boo#1099812
- using secondary graphics card (nvidia optimus, via bumblebee/primus) does
no longer work, boo#1099974

The intel driver for me is also not really an option. While I have never seen
the keyboard hang, I have massive rendering errors in terminal windows with
invisible and/or not properly repainted text passages :(