Re: [opensuse-factory] no room to install kernel-firmware, so zypper deletes rpm from cache...
On 03/07/18 02:01 AM, Felix Miata wrote:
...rather than leaving it there so that it can be moved to a location with
more
freespace, or freespace can be expanded, which is a considerable waste of
bandwidth. Space shortage is 25MB, while package size is 70MB (280MB
unpacked).

Is delete on ignore (but not abort) intended behavior? Should it be subject
to a
preference setting in zypp.conf? I don't see anything applicable in the
current
TW zypp.conf.

I don't use TW but ...

I have my zypp.conf set to download and install each rpm as it goes rather than
downloading them all and doing the install all at the end.
So it deletes the packages as they get installed.

Yes, the way I run it "zypper deletes rpm from cache" all the time, regardless
of available space.

Oh, and I have /var on a separate 'partition'.
I know this upsets John but it works for me .

# df -h /var
/dev/mapper/vgmain-vVAR 4.8G 1.5G 3.1G 33% /var

The wonders of LVM!
Currently, /var is an ext4.
Someday I'll get around to doing something about that.

main:/var/cache/zypp # find . -name '*.rpm'
main:/var/cache/zypp #

To do this, there is a setting in the zypp.conf file:

##
## Commit download policy to use as default.
##
## DownloadOnly, Just download all packages to the local cache.
## Do not install. Implies a dry-run.
##
## DownloadInAdvance, First download all packages to the local cache.
## Then start to install.
##
## DownloadInHeaps, Similar to DownloadInAdvance, but try to split
## the transaction into heaps, where at the end of
## each heap a consistent system state is reached.
##
## DownloadAsNeeded Alternating download and install. Packages are
## cached just to avid CD/DVD hopping. This is the
## traditional behaviour.
##
## <UNSET> If a value is not set, empty or unknown, we pick
## some sane default.
##
## commit.downloadMode =
commit.downloadMode = DownloadAsNeeded

--
Every civilization that has ever existed has ultimately collapsed.
-- Henry Kissinger