[opensuse-factory] Tumbleweed - Review of the week 2018/23
Dear Tumbleweed users and hackers,

This week was not very exciting for the users of Tumbleweed: not a
single snapshot has been published since my last review. The reason for
this is a sequence of ‘bad luck’

* First, OBS was having some trouble with its caches and was simply
overloaded. Building a new snapshot took more time than it should, so
we decided to ‘let it settle’, which it then did
* Once we were ready for a check-in, a new version of ‘product
builder’ introduced a regression: the ISO files were no longer bootable
when put on a USB drive. Considering this is a very common scenario, we
did decide not to publish those ISOs (this would have been snapshot
0602; product-builder has been reverted since to get over this, and a
fix, incl testing, is back in the pipeline
* For snapshot 0603, Qt 5.11 was added. Turns out, that Kontact was
affected badly and very frequently showed an error message. As it did
not show at a 100% rate, this actually managed to slip through the
staging process. A fix came in shortly after for and was in 0605.
* Once snapshot 0605 was ready to test, it became apparent that the
earlier mentioned issues managed to mask other underlying issues,
namely, there seems to be a heft performance regression. A lot of tests
are failing on timeouts now. Debugging this lead to identifying that
snapperd seems to be crashing, which then resolves in coredumps being
written out, and obviously slowing down the machine while this happens.
A possible candidate to have provoked this much more frequent crashing
of snapperd was identified in Kernel 4.16.13 (but not conclusively
confirmed yet). So, we reverted the kernel to 4.16.12 for snapshot
0606, which is currently under testing.

I hope this gives you a bit of an insight into what happened this week
and why there are no snapshots out yet. Of course, with all this going
on, there are a few things accumulated to be delivered. The most
interesting things there are:

* Linux kernel 4.17
* Qt 5.11
* GCC 8 as the default compiler
* FFmpeg 4
* Plasma 5.13.0

During the next two weeks, I will hand over the release manager tasks
around openSUSE Tumbleweed to Max Lin, as I’ll be trying to chase for
the sun.

Cheers,
Dominique
< Previous Next >