Re: [opensuse-factory] mutt 1.9.1 reports itself as neomutt ???
* Simon Lees <sflees@xxxxxxx> [05-31-18 09:05]:

On 31/05/18 21:27, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* Lars Marowsky-Bree <lmb@xxxxxxxx> [05-31-18 07:31]:
On 2018-05-30T23:32:08, Patrick Shanahan <paka@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

then if it is neomutt, it should be packaged as neomutt, not mutt

Fair. I prefer neomutt by far (and am amused, because I still remember
how mutt started as patches to elm) with the whole search and other
stuff build in, but if there are two distinct projects, they shouldn't
be conflated like this.

doesn't really matter if they are "two distinct projects", they are two
distinct "products". mutt != neomutt != mutt

it does matter and we do not need all the neomutt patches. and neomutt is
not copyright Michael Elkins, mutt is.

It still is mostly Michael's copyright of course.

mostly doesn't work. mutt *is* Michael Elkins copyright.

the package is fscked and needs fixing, it doesn't even report the
correct version.

Open a bugzilla and submit a new mutt package and a rename of the
current mutt to neomutt?

are you only reading the last of the thread? there is a bug # reported
earlier. and I want mutt as the package indicates, not neomutt. and mutt
patches to accomplish features from neomutt are ok because it is still
mutt.

Out of curiosity what is the difference between mutt patched to have
neomutt's features and neomutt the resulting source code is still going
to be the same. Or would you just like a certain subset of the neomutt
patches? if so how do you tell which ones you should and shouldn't have?
From the looks of it the openSUSE maintainer has just decided they want
mutt with all of neomutts features and the easiest way to do that is to
just take the neomutt sources.

Yes maybe it would be better if the package was renamed to neomutt and
obsoleted the old mutt (because presumably most people want the extra
features), but i'm guessing this change has happened organically over
time and will likely remain like that until someone decides to do the
work to create an alternate mutt package I guess without the new neomutt
features.

https://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/repo/oss/x86_64/mutt-1.9.1-1.4.x86_64.rpm
https://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/repo/oss/x86_64/neomutt-20180323-1.1.x86_64.rpm
https://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/repo/oss/x86_64/neomutt-20180512-1.1.x86_64.rpm