Re: [opensuse-factory] Killing Group tag in .spec files
On Tue, 2018-05-29 at 13:17 +0200, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
On Tuesday 2018-05-29 12:45, Tomas Chvatal wrote:

But there are only 2 ways to use it, 1) yast view based on groups [...]
In general it does not really make sense to install packages based on
groups.

It was not so much about installation, but exploration in related
software. (To me, anyway.) The grouping made yast something of a "Things
to Explore" guide to the packages it had. It made me install and learn
about the roxen webserver once upon a time.

+1

With the high group memberships numbers today (Languages/Haskell alone
for example is 2000+ pkgs) - not to mention the terrible package
descriptions that usually go along with it - the yast group view
certainly feels more like a telephone book than a curated guide.

Ah yeah, you remind me that I wanted to discuss with the Haskell team if we
can make the rpm Group tags better somehow.

-Scott
< Previous Next >