Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: Opening private bugs
On 30/05/18 00:17, Simon Lees wrote:

On 29/05/18 23:25, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 29/05/18 05:05 AM, Simon Lees wrote:
<pruned>

As far as I recall this is the first email where I have discussed
getting rid of any lists, I can't see the board deciding to remove any
lists that still have a function and that are still being actively used.
Personally I would not support such a change. The bulk of the change we
have announced and implemented is about A. Providing a more focused
support list and B. returning the opensuse-factory@ list back to its
role from 2-5 years ago, discussing development changes / decisions that
effect distro development as a whole,

The name of that list (Factory) is inappropriate for what it is supposed to cover and should be renamed to, I suggest, 'Development'.

see the "remove groups from .spec
files" thread that is currently running as an example of this kind of
discussion.

So we'll be left with just opensuse-support@ and perhaps a feed.
And many of us don't like the feed. Much too noisy. Many other shortcomings.
Really too much in a limited view of the present.
Perhaps that means many people will move to Fedora, where there are still a lot
of lists, much more specific and much more fine grained (and apparently more
populous).

Saying "go to opensuse-support@ for all matters" is as unhelpful a saying "go to
bugzilla ..." for support.

You know, I think that "we" are looking at this matter from 'inside the box' and should look at it from 'outside the sandbox'.

Someone for some reason many moons ago created a list called Factory. Now, at that time the name was appropriate for whatever reason but now a newbie would see that list name and wonder what the heck is that all about. The reason why I suggested above for the name to be changed to Development (or something along this line).

The same applies to the name if this new mail list, opensuse-support. The name is too broad, too meangingless. Why not call a spade a spade and make the name 'Leap/Tumbleweed Users' Support' or similar. Direct, to the point. A newbie sees this name and knows exactly what to expect when s/he subscribes to the list. The name is too long, you say? OK, make it 'Leap/TW Support'.

BC

--
"..The times have been
That, when the brains were out,