Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: Opening private bugs
On 2018-05-28 18:39, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
On 05/28/2018 05:19 PM, Anton Aylward wrote:
As I said, elsewhere, not all problems are bugs.
Those that are not are better solved by the Wisdom of Crowds than annoying a
single developer who has limited time and patience.

I agree with that. I have made the experience from Debian that many users
abuse the bug tracking system as a support forum. It can be quite frustrating
when you are overrun with invalid bug reports which were just reported because
users are unable to tell a bug from a local configuration issue.

But not all problems are bugs. Deep debugging can be challenging and
infuriating, but the resolution gives satisfaction.
Dealing with users making their own <strike>idiocies</strike> mistakes into
bug
reports is frustrating and annoying.

I hope this *IS* a short term solution since in the longer term the Suse
developers will get annoyed enough to stop volunteering <strike>to deal with
idiots</strike>.

Yes. If you tell people to report a bug every time they run into a problem,
you will have your bug tracker flooded with invalid bug reports.

I agree.

But perhaps we are mixing here ideas from two different threads and
there is some confusion.

This mail list proposed in this thread, opensuse-bugshare@xxxxxxxxxxxx,
is only to handle requests by people to make public a particular bug
report they need to read, but can not because it is flagged "private"
(most SLE bugs are marked private, it is the default as I understand).

Then a volunteer employee, who has access to those private bugs because
he is an employee, will either make the bug public or post to the list
an excerpt or a copy paste of the needed sections.

However, this service can be useful not only to people solving bugs, but
also to people reading that a solution to bug X is included on some
other bug Y that he can not read because it is private. I have hit them
more than once, so I expect that I would need this mail list eventually.

Thank you for providing this service to the community :-)

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.