Re: [opensuse-factory] Plan for python2-only packages
On Thu, May 24, 2018 at 10:27:00PM +0200, Matěj Cepl wrote:
On 2018-05-24, 06:56 GMT, Takashi Iwai wrote:
Last but not least, IMO, two weeks are too short for such
a transition. One may have a vacation for two weeks easily if
living in Europe :)

Well, I guess the best protection against removal is to show
some signs of life in the package. If package has not been
touched in the last two years (https://is.gd/lCVFbz and the last
upstream release in Jul 13, 2015), my restraint against removal
is significantly lower.

Not every package requires continuous development. There are simple
utilities or libraries which "just work" and there is no point releasing
updates every few months (or even weeks), even if it is considred
"modern" or even "sign of life" by some.

So in the example above, the question you should ask shoudn't be "when
was last upstream release?" but rather "does it still work?" or "are
there ignored serious bugs?". An example of twinkle comes to my mind -
it hasn't seen an upstream release from 2009 to 2015 and it still had
many happy users who would have become very unhappy if it was just
dropped from the distribution with two week's notice.

Michal Kubeček