Re: [opensuse-factory] Tumbleweed full disk encryption passphrase
  • From: Bruno Friedmann <bruno@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2018 17:16:03 +0200
On jeudi, 24 mai 2018 17.07:38 h CEST Johannes Meixner wrote:
Hello,

On May 24 11:09 Johannes Meixner wrote (excerpt):
On May 23 20:13 Frank Kunz wrote (excerpt):
... I need to follow the company (where I work) password
guideline. And this requires special chars :-/

Sigh!
I know, I know, I also suffer from that annoyance
at various places where I need a password.

right now it happened that I got a nice example
of elaborated password requirements.

It shows this text:
Please enter your new password.
The setting of the password is allowed only once a day.
The password must not contain your given name, surname and userid.
The password must not contain more than three identical characters.
It must consist of 8-12 characters,
at least one uppercase letter,
at least one lower case letter,
at least one number and
at least one special character.
Permitted special characters: ! $ % & ( ) = ? * + # - _ . :

Additionally that site requires me to replace my password
relatively often (every few month) and of course it remembers
my old passwords (hopefully a hash but I won't trust them so far)
because another requirement is that a new password
must not have been used before.

Readers skilled in combinatorical analysis may calculate
how much those requirements shrink the search space
and how much easier all those requirements make it
for computers to guess such passwords.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner

I share the same pain in some places where I work :-)
and when the said 3 identical characters it can means type of characters
so not allowed abc you have to use ab2

:-)

--

Bruno Friedmann