Re: [opensuse-factory] Tumbleweed full disk encryption passphrase

Hello,

On May 23 20:13 Frank Kunz wrote (excerpt):
... I need to follow the company (where I work) password
guideline. And this requires special chars :-/

Sigh!
I know, I know, I also suffer from that annoyance
at various places where I need a password.

It seems there is a general "company/organization disease"
that had currently infected many companies/organizations
which makes them require various special rules for the
characters in their passwords - the more the better!

Obviously each password requirement shrinks the search space
so that the more requirements there are the easier it gets
to guess a password by computers while at the same time
the more requirements there are the more difficult it gets
to remember such artificial passwords by humans (e.g. WTF
were the upper case characters in my password?) which leads
to various kind of "notes" where humans try to somehow keep
those "inhuman" passwords, cf.
https://xkcd.com/936/
"Through 20 years of effort, we've successfully trained
everyone to use passwords that are hard for humans
to remember, but easy for computers to guess."

I think for companies/organizations it seems not to matter
to make things actually more secure. It seems what matters
more is that companies/organizations can feel safe because
they had enforced the right (well known/old) rules and then
when things go wrong they can claim it is not their fault.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)