Re: What about PyPI itself? [Was: Re: [opensuse-factory] Plan for python2-only packages]
  • From: Todd Rme <toddrme2178@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2018 23:51:14 -0400
On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 5:43 PM, Matěj Cepl <mcepl@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2018-05-23, 18:29 GMT, Todd Rme wrote:
The main advantage in my view is having multiple eyes on it.
If I maintain my own set of packages I am solely responsible
for keeping thing running, up to date, etc. But if it is part
of openSUSE, then people can and do work together to do this.
It is less work for each individual since any work one person
does benefits everyone rather than just themself.

Of course, that’s standard theory why Linux distros are useful.
However, what about the situation when there are actually less
eyes on openSUSE package than on the upstream project (shared by
all operating systems and distributions, and either number is
not very high in the first place)?

Matěj

But when it comes to keeping my packages up-to-date, it isn't really a
matter of upstream vs. openSUSE, it is a matter of me alone vs.
openSUSE including me. In my experience this tends to result in the
packages I need being kept more up-to-date than if I had to handle it
all completely by myself.