Re: [opensuse-factory] Plan for python2-only packages
  • From: Todd Rme <toddrme2178@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2018 14:32:39 -0400
On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 3:21 AM, Joachim Wagner
<jwagner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
* Those that are python2-only and have not seen upstream activity
since 2016 should be dropped [...]
[...] after a two-week warning period.

Where can we see a list of all affected packages, including packages that
depend on an affected package? Similarly to Larry for VirtualBox, users with
good python knowledge might step forward to volunteer converting their
favourite package to python 3.

Joachim

devel:languages:python:singlespec-staging has most of the packages
that need to be converted. In fact most of them have already been
automatically converted, they just need to be checked since the
automatic conversion isn't perfect.

But that assumes the package supports python 3 to begin with. There
are lots of packages that don't support python 3 and almost certainly
never will because they haven't been touched upstream in years. Those
are what my current proposal focuses on.

devel:languages:python:misc has packages that are not in or submitted
to openSUSE:factory. Many of those are in pretty good shape, often
just needing and update and a license macro in the files. Others,
however, haven't been updated in years.