Re: [opensuse-factory] Tumbleweed full disk encryption passphrase
Am 23.05.2018 um 09:56 schrieb Johannes Meixner:

Hello,

On May 18 23:00 Frank Kunz wrote (excerpt):
... I use special characters for my passphrase, which
should be a good idea for a passphrase, and grub2 uses a different
keyboard layout than the Linux installation. By that I need to type two
different passphrases.

see "Some side notes for the fun of weirdness" and therein in particular
"Use non-ASCII characters in usernames and passwords to lock yourself out"
in
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Plain_Text_versus_Locale

What makes a passphrase good is first and foremost length.

Length is more important than the size of the character set
because the formula is

number_of_words = size_of_character_set ^ word_length

e.g. with only 36 ASCII lowercase alnums (i.e. 0-9 and a-z)
versus all 95 printable ASCII characters it is e.g.

36 ^ 13 > 95 ^ 10

so that a passphrase with 13 ASCII lowercase alnums is
better than a passphrase with 10 printable ASCII characters
and in the same way is e.g. 36 ^ 17 > 95 ^ 13 so that
a passphrase with 17 ASCII lowercase alnums is better
than a passphrase with 13 printable ASCII characters
and so on...

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner

This is a good hint, but if I want to keep my password and passphrase in
sync I need to follow the company (where I work) password guideline. And
this requires special chars :-/

Br,
Frank