Re: What about PyPI itself? [Was: Re: [opensuse-factory] Plan for python2-only packages]

On 23/05/18 00:53, Matěj Cepl wrote:
On 2018-05-21, 16:09 GMT, Todd Rme wrote:
What about packages that are maintained but remain
python2-only?

And would it really be a large amount of work if we make it
clear that no further work on legacy packages will be done by
dlp maintainers?

Let me add one even more controversial comment. I would like to
start a discussion on purpose of the packaging Python packages
at all. I mean, certainly we need to package all dependencies of
applications we ship, and we need to have somehow defined basic
platform we can maintain. However, what is the advantage of
having packaged PyPI package, which is completely ignored in
OpenSUSE repositories, has just minimal number of users?

Just randomly from packages I am going through, what is the
value for average OpenSUSE user of maintaining package
python-odorik? It is a Python library providing Python interface
to the API of tiny Czech mobile phone operator (so small I have
never heard about it, even though I am a Czech myself). Would
its (I would risk to assume) few users be really that harmed by
using pip, and using the package directly?

I guess the original author of the package was/is OpenSUSE user,
so he packaged it for the distribution as well, but my point is
that maintenance of packages is not free (in terms of time we
need to spend on it, not necessarily money), and we should
consider the costs of the maintenance.

Best,

Matěj

Personally I think that generally the cost of maintenance is relatively
low, with exceptions of times like now where there is a move from
python2 -> python3, or the first major clean up in many years.

In my opinion if someone wants to submit a package that is building and
working we shouldn't put any restrictions on it, but if it gets to a
point where the package is no longer being maintained by anyone and is
either not building or has major bugs that aren't being fixed then there
is a good case for removing the package, this is what we have tended to
do across the rest of the project and it has worked reasonably well, as
once something fails to build in factory/tumbleweed the release managers
do a reasonable job of removing it.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30