Re: What about PyPI itself? [Was: Re: [opensuse-factory] Plan for python2-only packages]
  • From: Bruno Friedmann <bruno@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2018 17:58:03 +0200
On 2018-05-21, 16:09 GMT, Todd Rme wrote:
What about packages that are maintained but remain
python2-only?

And would it really be a large amount of work if we make it
clear that no further work on legacy packages will be done by
dlp maintainers?

Let me add one even more controversial comment. I would like to
start a discussion on purpose of the packaging Python packages
at all. I mean, certainly we need to package all dependencies of
applications we ship, and we need to have somehow defined basic
platform we can maintain. However, what is the advantage of
having packaged PyPI package, which is completely ignored in
OpenSUSE repositories, has just minimal number of users?

Just randomly from packages I am going through, what is the
value for average OpenSUSE user of maintaining package
python-odorik? It is a Python library providing Python interface
to the API of tiny Czech mobile phone operator (so small I have
never heard about it, even though I am a Czech myself). Would
its (I would risk to assume) few users be really that harmed by
using pip, and using the package directly?

I guess the original author of the package was/is OpenSUSE user,
so he packaged it for the distribution as well, but my point is
that maintenance of packages is not free (in terms of time we
need to spend on it, not necessarily money), and we should
consider the costs of the maintenance.

Best,

Matěj

I'm a bit surprised about this kind of sentences.
If I package something for myself (with the required quality, shouldn't be it
shared ?)

The disavantage of pypi, is sudo pip install bla and get a fucked up system
:-)

Now the question is are we moving dlp to a strict devel repo for factory
and then have somewhere a jungle pypi equivalent for package that exist
but have to few interest to be in main Factory, but still are packaged ?

The only other solution will be, people interested will keep their own stuff
and will not share them.

I'm confuse in my brain with the 2 years ago, put everything in factory,
one year later we will consolidate to single spec (need work)
and now throw the baby, the water and the church

But we miss the step, singlespec is now ok.
Period of time to submit to factory
Once done, start the cleanup and drive contributors

Now we learn that we lack resources for dlp, and also for factory review.
Then what shall I do as contributor ? Go ahead, no go ....

For the moment I'm redoing a lot of work that was done in the last 2 years,
Some packages will goes to Factory, because they are key for other stuff (Geo,
Cloud and so). But for the others (most of them the req to become maintainer
was not followed) will certain move to a personal dontbreakpythonagainyet sub
project, but I feel this should not be the right direction.

--

Bruno Friedmann
Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch