Re: [opensuse-packaging] Re: [opensuse-factory] Plan for python2-only packages
  • From: Todd Rme <toddrme2178@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2018 12:47:52 -0400
On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 12:24 PM, Michael Ströder <michael@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Todd Rme wrote:
On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 12:06 PM, Michael Ströder <michael@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Todd Rme wrote:
* Those that are python2-only and have not seen upstream activity
since 2016 should be dropped from openSUSE:Factory and dropped from
devel:languages:python after a two-week warning period.

I see no compelling reason to be so over-aggressive to PY2 code base.

What would you propose we do instead?

Keep those packages.

Ciao, Michael.

P.S.: Personally I'm pretty much frustrated regarding the Python stuff
in openSUSE. Although I still have a large PY2 code base I've updated in
the past many Python modules also for PY3 even before the single-spec
approach. With all these confusing changes I gave up on this and focus
on doing my own private stuff now.

P.P.S.: Helping maintaining python2 updates would be easier if all the
patches were better documented.

P.P.P.S.: After all this repo moving packages cannot be found anymore in
search form on https://build.opensuse.org => greatly degraded usability
of all this.

The openSUSE python team isn't very large. We had a dozen people or
so to maintain almost 3,000 packages. Without the singlespec
approach, that would be almost 6,000. Many of these have
version-specific interdependencies, architecure-specific issues, new
requirements for python2 backports, and related breakage that requires
constant attention. And we have the impending lack of upstream
support for python 2, which we need to be ready for. Add to that
random bitrot-related breakage in hundreds of packages that have
absolutely zero chance of being fixed upstream adds a large burden to
such a small group.