Re: [opensuse-factory] Plan for python2-only packages
On 05/21/2018 10:03 AM, Simon Lees wrote:

On 22/05/18 00:01, Todd Rme wrote:
There are still a large number of packages in openSUSE:Factory that
are python2-only. Some have not been touched upstream in years. We
probably should start thinking about what to do with them.

I think we should break python2-only packages into four categories:

* Those that have python3 support that just hasn't been integrated
should be updated.

* Those that upstream has indicated has python3 support in the
near-term roadmap should be kept as-is for now (or updated to the
latest version).

* Those that are python2-only and have not seen upstream activity
since 2016 should be dropped from openSUSE:Factory and dropped from
devel:languages:python after a two-week warning period.

* All others, including backports packages, should be moved to a new
subproject, devel:languages:python:legacy since they won't need many
updates or rebuilds. This project should be built but not published.

What does everyone think of this plan?

Sounds good to me.

This thread was enough for me to start converting VirtualBox to use Python 3.6 instead of 2.7.

Larry