[opensuse-factory] Plan for python2-only packages
  • From: Todd Rme <toddrme2178@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2018 10:31:24 -0400
There are still a large number of packages in openSUSE:Factory that
are python2-only. Some have not been touched upstream in years. We
probably should start thinking about what to do with them.

I think we should break python2-only packages into four categories:

* Those that have python3 support that just hasn't been integrated
should be updated.

* Those that upstream has indicated has python3 support in the
near-term roadmap should be kept as-is for now (or updated to the
latest version).

* Those that are python2-only and have not seen upstream activity
since 2016 should be dropped from openSUSE:Factory and dropped from
devel:languages:python after a two-week warning period.

* All others, including backports packages, should be moved to a new
subproject, devel:languages:python:legacy since they won't need many
updates or rebuilds. This project should be built but not published.

What does everyone think of this plan?