Re: [opensuse-factory] Tumbleweed full disk encryption passphrase

It should be sufficient to type the passphrase only in grub2. After
some research I found some Arch Linux specific instruction [1]. But
this uses an Arch specific initrd hook to open the encrypted fs by
reading a passphrase from a file included in the initrd. I haven't
found an equivalent hook in the tumbleweed dracut config. Would
this setup also be a possible solution for tumbleweed? How could it
be configured?

For me the following works; you have to adapt the harddisk ID and
device to your system.

* grub2 options:

boot from MBR
GRUB_ENABLE_CRYPTODISK=y

* Create file `/crypto_keyfile.bin'.

dd bs=512 count=4 if=/dev/urandom of=/crypto_keyfile.bin
cryptsetup luksAddKey /dev/sda1 /crypto_keyfile.bin

chmod 000 /crypto_keyfile.bin
chmod -R g-rwx,o-rwx /boot

* Add the following to `/etc/crypttab' (as a single line).

cr_ata-YOUR_HARDDISK_IDENTIFIER-part1 \
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-YOUR_HARDDISK_IDENTIFIER-part1 \
/crypto_keyfile.bin

* Create the file `/etc/dracut.conf.d/99-initcrypt.conf' with the
following contents:

install_items="/crypto_keyfile.bin"

* Call

Ā»dracut --forceĀ«