Re: [opensuse-factory] TW: su -; DISPLAY missing; .Xauthority 0 bytes
* Cameron Seader <cseader@xxxxxxxx> [05-18-18 09:40]:
:-)

On 05/18/2018 12:56 AM, Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar wrote:
On Thu, 2018-05-17 at 17:10 -0600, Cameron Seader wrote:
Team,
Not sure which update this happened in, but in TW you no longer get the
DISPLAY variable set when issuing an su - command. Also the .Xauthority
files seems empty as well when you switch to the root user. I now have
to copy my .Xauthority file over from my standard user account and then
export my DISPLAY variable to run gfx tools as root user.
Thoughts as to why this has now changed.
Thanks,

I could say something stupid like: this is normal when you login on a
text console - and it'd be as accurate as any answer one could give.

You should at least describe your setup, like what DM, what DE... don't
expect we can guess all this info

(and I for one can't reproduce this on my machine)

Well you could say that yes. :-) Fair enough. I'm running TW with KDE for
quite a long time just rolling my updates with zypper dup weekly. This has
never been a problem in the past. I've always been able to execute su - and
the xauthority and DISPLAY have always been available. So I quickly
suspected something in packages that may have changed, but if your not
getting the same thing or if this is really expected behavior and mine was
just a fluke for the past few years well then so be it. So i guess my
question comes to. What is the expected default behavior since my
expectation seems to be skewed.

fwiw, Tw up-to-date atm

09:41 Crash:~ > su -
Password: