Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: Improving compatibility with third party packages via more relaxed 'provides'

On 17/05/18 21:47, Andreas Schwab wrote:
On Mai 17 2018, Robert Munteanu <robert.munteanu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

As an openSUSE user I find that third party applications that provide
RPM packages work most of the time, and sometimes need little
depedendency tweaks. For instance ( presumably due to the way Fedora
packages are built ) the Slack RPM package requires libappindicator,
but the openSUSE package only providers libappindicator1.

Why does the package require libappindicator? The automatic dependency
generator of rpm would generate a dependency on
libappindicator.so.1()(64bit), which is provided by the library packages
no matter how they are called.

Andreas.

Because they do, I guess the upstreams aren't rpm packaging experts,
libappindicator is probably the biggest culprit from memory its not just
Slack that has this issue I have found others, however I do not remember
what they were.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30