Re: [opensuse-factory] Tumbleweed 20180330: systemd-coredump
  • From: Peter Suetterlin <pit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2018 10:00:02 +0100
Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar wrote:
On Sun, 2018-04-01 at 11:18 +0200, Peter Suetterlin wrote:
Dominique Leuenberger wrote:

Packages changed:
systemd
==== systemd ====
Subpackages: libsystemd0 libsystemd0-32bit libudev-devel libudev1
libudev1-32bit systemd-32bit systemd-logger systemd-sysvinit udev
- Split systemd-coredump sub-package off (bsc#1083849)

That new package did not get installed automatically. What does that now
mean
for users? Is systemd not handling coredumps at all anymore without it? So
you get the coredump in local directory?

you install without recommends?

Yes.

The base pattern for TW does recommend systemd-coredump, as we do think this
is beneficial for Tumbleweed with its fast pace. But it allows Leap to
deviate and not install it by default.

I'm not against coredumps, on the contrary. But I don't regard the systemd
handling as preferable: When we first were faced with it, it took some time
to figure out where those dumps are (being used to local dumping for decades),
and then I've been hit once too many by seemingly dead processes using up 100%
CPU where it was actually systemd compressing the coredump with the most CPU
intense compression algorithm around....

So making it a choice is a very good thing IMHO :D