Re: [opensuse-factory] My computer won't fill in the right subject line for me
On 03/29/2018 01:50 PM, Michael Hirmke wrote:
The subject of your email is not what your email is about.
"Re: [opensuse-factory] New Tumbleweed snapshot 20180320 released!"
This subject line is about a new TW snapshot...interesting to most
[opensuse-factory] subscribers.

Your email is not that.

As requested in every TW snapshot release messages:
"When you reply to report some issues, make sure to change the subject.
It is not helpful to keep the release announcement subject in a thread
while discussing a specific problem."

Not only is it not helpful. It's irritating to some people. Makes people
less inclined to read your message and possibly help sort out your problem.

why do you shoot on me?
I'm not the original poster. Do you want me to change his subject?
Why don't you tell him?

I posted to the list, not to you. Consequently, he _was_ told. Several
people have commented on this faux pas that continues to appear.

This is not a problem for me. Upon realizing that yet another person has
not followed instructions, I usually delete the message unless it's
pertinent to me. And then trying to find it again with its automated TW
snapshot release message is difficult.

So in many ways this oversight is not helpful, and potentially
detrimental to the person and to the list.

Yes, I want you to change the subject. Many people want to help as you
have done, Michael. Changing the subject line makes your help more useful.

In addition, I know first hand how it is when my machine doesn't work.
At such times, I'm not inclined to read the fine print.

I apologize for irritating if that happened. After a couple of people
complained of the issue, I realized that my ignoring these messages just
helps keep it in place.

Thank you for being willing to help solve a problem.

Nevertheless I changed the subject for my latest reply.

Thank you for doing that. It is more helpful than the non-descriptive TW
release message.

Carl