Re: [opensuse-factory] systemd not being stopped when you log out

On Mar 22, 2018, at 4:22 AM, Ianseeks <bingmybong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wednesday, 21 March 2018 18:29:26 GMT John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

On Mar 21, 2018, at 10:28 PM, Ianseeks <bingmybong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thats the problem, i don't know if its intended. I would have thought that
all user processes should get shut down at logoff.

That depends on whether you have KillUserProcesses=yes in
/etc/systemd/logind.conf.

Note: This also kills things like screen snd tmux, if you want them to
survive, you need to use something like „systemd-run —user screen“ with
lingering enabled (see manpage).

I've never touched that file and this "systemd" not closing situation is
fairly new. Did something change in a download?
According to the logind.conf comments, the file contents are generated by
kcmsystemd control module v1.2.1, can you mod it without it being overwritten
again or is there a configurator program?

This is something that GNOME does, not systemd. GNOME is generally notorious
for keeping user processes running after logout since they still assume Linux
desktops to be single user.

I remember talking to a GNOME upstream developer at LinuxTag 2005(!), asking
them why there are still gconfd processes running after logout as this poses a
serious problem in a multiuser environment like our university back then where
that resulted in hundreds of gconfd processes after just a few days.

The GNOME guy was very surprised to hear that such environments exist and
didn’t really have an answer to my original question.

It goes along with the crippling of GDM and removing the language setting
feature or being able to store session preferences per user independent of the
login machine used (looking at you accountsservicesd).

Antway, your best bet is to use the systemd feature above. However, keep in
mind that GNOME might also start systemd-user services which can be kept alive
with the lingering option.

PS: I can highly recommend KDE these days ;).

Adrian--