Re: [opensuse-factory] Phoronix has done some network tests windows vs a few distros (incl TW)
  • From: Stefan Kunze <skunze@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2018 10:56:19 +0100
On Friday, March 16, 2018 9:33:52 AM CET tomtomme wrote:

That is exactly the scope of Phoronix.

Care to explain how those network-benchmarks could be improved?
The discussed benchmark you are slandering is only a preview, the full
comparison is in the works. It was requested and payd for by a user, so
it must be useful to him.

As a Tumbleweed user I enjoy those benchmarks, so entertaining it is,
yes. But at the same time they deliver also vaild data points, sometimes
on a small scale (hardware wise), and sometimes with nice big
comparisons when it comes to gaming / gpus.

I'm not a developer. But the one thing I heard mentioning in the past is that
Michael is basically testing default configurations , which can be quite
different between distros and are not always appropriate for he tested
subject.
I personally read phoronix a lot but I know how I take it. The Benchmarks
sometimes seems to be made in a hurry and in a drive-by manner.
Nobody disputes that he is a workoholic , with the frequency of updates to the
site.

But to be honest , what annoys me most is that he mostly links to his own
posts instead of the source and his constant grandstanding , e.g. I was the
first to report etc.. or as I have reported several times before ..

I have not seen this specific benchmarks though.