Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: btrfs /var changes
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 23:32:10 +0100 (CET)

On Monday, 2018-01-29 at 20:41 +0100, Daniele wrote:
Il 29/01/2018 19:28, Cris70 ha scritto:

Hi all!

Bruno Friedmann-2 wrote
(...)
I would also like to add that snapshot 0117 introduced the new btrfs
default subvolume layout
(...) Richard, is there a documented manual way (wiki, github, ml),
for those who will not do a reinstall, but would like to move to the
new layout ? (...)

I am one of those having the old layout, with multiple subvolumes
under /var *and* with no "@" volume.

My question is: if I want to reinstall to get the new btrfs layout
(given I've not seen a thorough answer to the how-to guide query by
Bruno), what would be the best way to avoid re-doing a lot of work?
What should I back up from the old boot partition (I guess /etc,
something more?)? Is there a way to save a list of all the installed
packages (those that are not part of a standard installation) and
safely re-apply it once reinstalled? Other considerations that come to
mind?

It depends, usually /etc is enough.
You can save a list of installed packages with
# rpm -qa | sort > rpmlist.txt

It only works if you are not using any extra repos, because there is no way I know for saving list of packages and from which repo is each package.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.